Today, finding the best electric company in Texas is about finding the best electricity company for you. This means the ideal provider must offer a great plan that fits your needs, knock-your-socks-off customer service and even a mission that aligns with your values.
To help find that provider, this page brings you a sweeping overview of all the leading players in the Texas electricity market. With detailed company outlines and Provider Score ratings, you'll find the perfect electricity company for you faster than ever.
To start comparing plans from these leading providers today, enter your ZIP Code above.
Texas Electric Company Provider Score Ratings
Provider Score™ Summary
|Provider||Provider Score||Energy Options||Service Areas|
|Constellation||CT, GA, IL, OH, MA, MD, NJ, PA, TX|
|Direct Energy||CT, IL, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, DC|
|Tomorrow Energy||PA, NJ, MD, OH, TX|
|Spark Energy||CT, IL, MA, NJ, NY, PA & TX|
|Frontier Utilities||TX, NJ, PA & OH|
|New Power Texas||TX|
- Electricity Plans
- Natural Gas Plans
- 100% Renewable Plans
- Business Electricity
- Smart Home Bundles
Best Texas Electricity Providers for 2023
To find the best electricity provider in Texas, we created the Provider Score rating system. By combining 20+ data points on everything from product offering to customer reviews, a Provider Score funnels all the important factors for selecting a provider into one rating.
Best Texas Electricity Provider: Constellation
Earning the highest Provider Score in not only Texas, but the entire US, Constellation is the Best Electricity Provider in Texas. This is Constellation's second year in a row winning this category.
Service AreasCT, GA, IL, OH, MA, MD, NJ, PA, TX
Constellation is the nation's leading provider of carbon-free energy with a commitment to be 100% carbon-free by 2040. They serve over 2.5 million residential and business customers across the United States.
- A large selection of fixed-rate electricity plans to fit practically anyone's needs
- Superb customer service, with multiple support options to choose from
- A high net promoter score, indicating its customers are more likely to recommend Constellation than other providers' customers
- Generous community initiatives through Habitat for Humanity, its E2 Energy to Educate grant program and more that benefit the communities Constellation serves
Best Renewable Electricity Provider: Rhythm
Rhythm made a splash when it broke into the crowded electricity market in 2020 with its straightforward renewable energy plans. Since then, it's quickly proved itself to be the Best Renewable Electricity Provider in Texas.
Rhythm is a Texas electricity provider that provides renewable energy plans sourced from Texas wind farms. The company prides itself on its selection of plans with straightforward pricing and no hidden fees or gimmicks.
- Great fixed-rate renewable electricity plans with no hidden fees or gimmicks
- 90-day risk-free trial for any of its electricity plans
- Plans that source electricity directly from Texas renewable energy generators
- Fantastic customer reviews that emphasize the provider's dedication to customer service
Electricity Provider with the Best Customer Reviews: TXU Energy
As one of the largest and oldest electricity providers in the Lone Star State, TXU Energy is the provider with the Best Customer Reviews in Texas.
TXU Energy, a Vistra Energy company, is a leading Texas electricity company serving more than two million residents and businesses across the Lone Star State. Their history can be traced back to 1882 when Dallas Electric Lighting Company first brought electricity to North Texas.
- Multiple customer support options, including phone, email and online chat
- Thousands of glowing customer reviews emphasize the speed and ease with which customer problems are solved
- 5/5 PUCT Complaint Score, indicating one of the lowest formal complaint rates for a Texas electricity company
Most Charitable Electricity Provider: 4Change Energy
With charitable donations built into its business structure, 4Change Energy took the spot as the Most Charitable Electricity Provider in Texas.
Founded in 2012, 4Change Energy is a steward in their local Texas community and offers simple, affordable electricity plans. Their mission supports several charities including American Red Cross, the American Cancer Society, Feeding Texas, and Heroes for Children.
- True to its name, 4Change Energy donates 4 percent of its profits to multiple charities
- Charities 4Change supports include the American Cancer Society, Heroes For Children, the American Red Cross and Feeding Texas.
- 4Change also offers a solid selection of electricity plans, including plans with renewable energy.
Most Innovative Electricity Provider: Octopus Energy
Founded in 2015, this UK-based renewable electricity provider has grown to serve millions of customers thanks to its cost-saving technologies.
Ranked as the Most Innovative Electricity Provider, Octopus Energy is a renewable electric provider looking to revolutionize retail energy. Its technologies are already bringing more affordable electricity to 17 million homes throughout the world, with plans to do the same in Texas.
- Groundbreaking energy products, including the Powerloop, Octopus Go and Agile Octopus
- A recent entrant into the Texas electricity market that's bringing innovative products to the US.
Best Prepaid Electricity Provider: Payless Power
For those that want to pay for their electricity upfront, there isn't a better option than Payless Power.
Founded in 2005, Payless Power is a Texas electricity provider that sells prepaid electricity plans. Payless Power plans don’t require a security deposit for enrollment, making them a solid option for those that want to avoid them.
Why Payless Power?
- Since 2005, Payless Power has specialized in prepaid electricity plans
- Easily monitor your usage and add more electricity whenever you need
- No deposit required, even for those with poor credit.
Featured Texas Electricity Provider Ratings
Just because a provider didn't win a category doesn't mean you should ignore it. Check out the following Texas electricity providers and scores.
GoodCharlie’s residential electricity plans offer perks for dog owners, known as Pack Benefits, which include $750 toward emergency veterinary care, 24/7 video call access to licensed veterinarians, and bill roundups to support dog rescue programs that come at no cost to the customer.
Service AreasCT, IL, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, DC
Serving nearly 4 million residential customers, Direct Energy is one of the largest electricity, natural gas and home services providers in North America. They are also one of the largest commercial and industrial electricity with over 240,000 business electricity customers.
Reliant Energy is one of the largest electricity providers in the state of Texas. Its plan selection includes a plethora of fixed-rate plans, including some options for renewable energy. Supporting the communities it serves, Reliant has also donated millions of dollars to over 150 community programs across Texas.
Service AreasPA, NJ, MD, OH, TX
Tomorrow Energy is a retail electricity and natural gas supplier with a mission of creating a positive impact in the world by giving customers more clean Energy Choices. Their electricity plans are backed by 100% National Wind Renewable Energy Certificates. All natural gas plans are backed by 100% carbon offsets.
Service AreasIL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, PA & TX
Green Mountain Energy is the oldest renewable retail electricity provider. Since its founding in 1997, Green Mountain Energy has expanded into seven electricity markets, with its customers avoiding nearly 100 billion pounds of carbon emissions through its renewable energy plans and services.
Founded in 2001, Cirro Energy is an electricity provider in Texas that offers a wide variety of fixed-rate plans, including some with unique bundles and incentives. Cirro is known for these plans and its excellent customer service.
Service AreasCT, IL, MA, NJ, NY, PA & TX
Spark Energy was found in 1999 in Houston, Texas and was an early pioneer in the retail energy market. Spark Energy prides itself on 3 specialties that set them apart from the rest: energy savings knowledge, customer service and community support.
Service AreasTX, NJ, PA & OH
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Frontier Utilities has been providing affordable energy plans to its customers for over a decade. Frontier’s mission is to create superior value and service for its customers, employees, communities and investors through the sale and supply of energy and related services.
Pulse Power is a company powered by Texans, for Texans. Their commitment is to provide convenient, affordable, and hassle-free electricity plans that fit you and your lifestyle. Pulse Power offers the following types of rates in terms ranging from 12-36 months.
Varsity Energy is an electricity provider in Texas that offers straightforward fixed rate-electricity plans and fantastic customer service.
TriEagle Energy has been a well-respected leader in the Texas retail energy industry for close to 20 years. Their focus is delivering value through energy cost savings, instilling trust by understanding the energy needs of its customers and providing customized solutions and products.
Shop Texas Electricity Company Rates
To start comparing providers and plans today, enter your ZIP Code above.
|Provider||Plan Name||Length||Rate Per kWh|
At 1000kWh avg. usage
Maxx Saver Select 24
Frontier Saver Plus 12
Simply Bright 6
36Mo Usage Bill Credit + A/C Protection
|Plan||Rate Per kWh|
At 1000kWh avg. usage
Maxx Saver Select 24
Frontier Saver Plus 12
Simply Bright 6
36Mo Usage Bill Credit + A/C Protection
- 100% Renewable Sources
- A/C Protection Included
How to Compare Texas Electricity Companies
Texas electricity companies are not one and the same. In order to make an informed decision, use the following tips as you're comparing.
Understand The Basics Of Shopping For Electricity In Texas
Texas has a unique electricity market, so it's important to understand the basics for shopping for electricity in Texas before you enroll:
- Understand Your Electricity Usage – This is the golden rule of Texas electricity shopping. In Texas, your effective electricity rate will change depending on how much electricity you use. You should always check a plan's Electricity Facts Label (EFL) to ensure you're getting a plan that suits your usage.
- Fixed-Rate vs Variable-Rate Plan – These are the two most common plan types you'll come across. A fixed-rate plan is when your energy rate is locked in for the duration of your contract, while a variable-rate plan changes from month to month. Most of the time, a fixed-rate plan will save you more money.
- Plan Length – This is the length of time that the terms of your electricity contract are locked in. Be sure to look for any early termination fees associated with a plan before you enroll.
- Renewable Energy Plans – Want to have a positive impact on the environment? Consider switching to a renewable energy plan. These plans ensure that no matter how much electricity you use, an equal amount of renewable energy goes into the grid.
If you want more detailed info, check out our page on comparing electricity plans in Texas.
Check The Provider's Plan Offering
After you understand the basics of energy shopping in Texas, you will want to narrow down which providers you want to consider. The first step in doing this is to check the provider's electricity plans to ensure they have a plan that works for you. For example, if you want a renewable energy plan, you should check to make sure the provider you're considering offers renewable energy plans.
Consider The Provider's Reputation
While most providers are reputable, there are some bad actors that use deceptive tactics. Usually, these tactics involve getting you to sign up for an electricity plan that will end up costing you more down the line. Because of this, knowing the basics of electricity shopping can protect you from these providers. However, you should also use the Provider Score ratings above, which factor in each provider's business history and customer reviews.
Consider The Provider's Values
Some Texans may want to choose an electricity provider that aligns with their values. This may be through the charities the provider supports, or even be based on its plan selection.
For example, say you want a renewable energy plan to support the environment. You may be inclined to choose a provider that exclusively offers renewable energy plans.
Use An Electricity Shopping Platform When Comparing
Lastly, it's best to use an electricity shopping platform. It makes comparing easier by letting you see multiple plans and providers available in your area side by side.
On ElectricityRates.com, we go the extra mile to set Texans up for success.
- Leading Electricity Providers – We vet all providers before they can feature plans so you only see the best of the best.
- Simple & Secure Platform – Makes it easy to compare and enroll for free in minutes.
- Tiler Rate Assistant – Answer a few simple questions, and Tiler will find the cheapest plan that fits your needs. He can even use your past usage to estimate how much each plan will cost before you enroll.
Ready to find your dream electricity provider? Enter your ZIP Code above.
For more helpful information about comparing providers and making the best choice, visit our comprehensive page on Texas electricity rates.
FAQs About Texas Electric Companies
- Who is the best electricity provider in Texas?
Constellation earned the highest Provider Score, and therefore, is the Best Electricity Provider in Texas. However, the best electricity provider for you could be different depending on your needs and what you want out of your provider and plan.
- Who is the cheapest electric company in Texas?
There is no electricity provider that is the “cheapest” because the cost of Texas electricity plans vary based on your electricity consumption. The cheapest provider for one person may not be the cheapest for another. So instead of looking for the cheapest provider, use an electricity shopping website to compare multiple providers and plans to find the cheapest plan for you.
- How do I change electric companies in Texas?
You can switch providers by entering your ZIP Code on ElectricityRates.com. From there, you will be able to compare multiple providers and plans in your area. When you find the plan you like, you can switch providers right on the site in minutes.
- How many electric companies are there in Texas?
There are over 100 electricity providers in Texas, with most offering multiple electricity plans. Some of these electric companies have specific specialties. For instance, some providers only offer renewable plans, while others only serve large businesses.
- When can I change electric providers in Texas?
If you live in an area with the power to choose, you can change electricity providers any time you want. The only thing you should check is if you are currently under contract with your electricity provider. If you are, there may be cancellation fees if you terminate your contract before it ends.