Compare Green Mountain Energy Rates & Plans
In 2011, Green Mountain Energy made headlines when it was contracted to provide 100% renewable energy to the Empire State building for two years. The company was the first retail electricity provider to provide renewable energy to deregulated areas of Texas and has since grown to serve deregulated areas across the nation.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Green Mountain Energy was established in 1997 to provide cleaner, renewable sources of energy to deregulated areas across the nation. The company was the first Texas electricity company to offer alternative energy in the state. Since then, they have expanded to serve residential and commercial clients in the deregulated markets of Texas, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Oregon.
Green Mountain Energy is a stand-alone subsidiary of NRG Energy, an American energy company that operates in a variety of energy-related sectors around the world. With the acquisition, NRG Energy became one of the largest providers of green energy in the nation. Because of this subsidiary status, Green Mountain Energy has significant financial backing, allowing the company to purchase wholesale renewable electricity at prices lower than that of many competitors.
Green Mountain offers a variety of renewable electricity plans are offered for both residential and commercial customers. The top product for residential electricity is pollution-free electricity from 100% renewable sources, including solar, wind, and water.
In 2011, the company started offering a 100% wind electricity product for electric vehicle owners. A solar leasing program is offered for residential solar panels, and the company also sells renewable energy certificates (RECs) and carbon offset products to individuals across the nation.
A total of 50 new wind and solar facilities across the U.S. were developed as a result of Green Mountain Energy’s customer demand, and a total of 19.4 billion pounds of carbon dioxide emissions have been avoided since the inception of the company in 1997. That’s the equivalent of eliminating the carbon dioxide emissions of 1.7 million cars in a year.
Benefits of Choosing Green Mountain Energy:
Low Renewable Electric Prices
- Because of its size and financial backing of NRG Energy, Green Mountain Energy is able to source wholesale electricity at low costs compared to many competitors. This savings is shared with customers though affordable renewable electric rates.
All the Benefits of Clean Electricity
- Clean, renewable electricity produces no emissions of carbon dioxide, mercury, nitrogen, or other pollutants. It doesn’t require earth-damaging fossil-fuel extraction and is made from unlimited renewable sources that will never run out –wind, water, and solar.
Excellent Customer Service
- In 2008 and 2009, Green Mountain Energy received top rankings for customer service in J.D. Power and Associates Texas Retail Electric Service Satisfaction Study and has since received high scores.
Innovative Products and Services
- The mission of Green Mountain Energy is “to change the way power is made”. The company remains 100% committed to this mission and continually offers new products and services that can save customers money and reduce environmental impact.
Honest Business Practices
- Green Mountain Energy does not charge hidden or undisclosed fees to electric customers, and all charges are disclosed prior to signing a contract.
Sign Up With Green Mountain Energy
To find out if Green Mountain Energy is an available provider in your area, use the free Rate Comparison Tool at the top of the page. Type your ZIP Code and select your utility. You’ll then be presented with a list of reliable providers in your area that offer the best rates and plans.