Founded in 1997, Green Mountain Energy is the longest-running renewable energy retailer in the US. Its purpose has always been to help consumers acquire cleaner energy and have a better impact on the planet.
With 67 wind farms and 8 solar farms, Green Mountain Energy provides affordable renewable energy to 7 electricity markets. These renewable energy plans have helped its consumers avoid nearly 100 billion pounds in CO2 emissions since its founding.
Green Mountain’s Current Energy Offerings
For the most part, Green Mountain Energy offers fixed-rate renewable electricity plans. These plans can lock in your contract anywhere from one to three years. However, the specific plans Green Mountain Energy offers will differ depending on the state you live in.
Here are some of the common plans available:
- Wind Electricity Plans – Renewable energy plans sourced from wind energy.
- Solar Electricity Plans – Renewable energy plans sourced from solar energy.
- Local Solar/Wind Plans – Electricity plans sourced from local wind or solar energy plants in your state.
- Free Nights for EV Owners – Electricity plans with free nights, which are especially beneficial for those with electric vehicles.
Renewable Energy Plans
A renewable electricity plan essentially ensures that no matter how much electricity you use, an equal amount of renewable electricity will go into the grid.
It does not mean that all the electricity you use is now renewable. This is because there’s no way to route renewable energy once it enters the electric grid. It gets jumbled up with the rest of the electricity from all other sources.
To keep track of the renewable energy that enters the grid, we use renewable energy credits (RECs). These credits are generated once one full megawatt of renewable electricity enters the grid. The generator can then sell that REC to someone who wants to purchase renewable electricity. When you procure a renewable energy plan, your provider purchases these RECs on your behalf.
Green Mountain Energy Provider Score & Customer Reviews
Green Mountain Energy earned a Provider Score of 4.17/5, thanks to its wide selection of electricity plans and solid customer reviews.
Renewable Plan Options
The oldest renewable energy provider gives you a plethora of options to choose from at an affordable price. This includes plans with free nights. You can also take advantage of Green Mountain Energy’s paperless and autopay discounts for any of their plans.
Green Mountain Energy has over 1800 reviews across multiple platforms, including Google, averaging 3.1 out of 5 stars. This is a high score given the nature of electricity provider reviews, as more people tend to review when they have a negative experience over a positive one.
Many Green Mountain Energy reviews mention the provider’s great customer service and unique tools that can help customers control their energy consumption. For instance, Green Mountain Energy sends weekly reports on energy consumption, so you can be mindful about your electricity use.
Green Mountain Energy Service Areas
Customer Service Phone Lines By State For Green Mountain Energy
- Texas Residential Customer Service Line: 1-866-785-4668
- Pennsylvania Residential Customer Service Line: 1-800-286-5856
- New York Residential Customer Service Line: 1-800-636-5690
- New Jersey Residential Customer Service Line: 1-844-245-9582
- Massachusetts Residential Customer Service Line: 1-844-245-9583
- Maryland Residential Customer Service Line: 1-877-473-3646
- Illinois Residential Customer Service Line: 1-800-274-5289