The best electricity providers bring more than the lowest rates. They offer a customer-first experience, combining a proven track record of delivering the best energy products with stellar customer service. On top of this, the best provider for you may have a mission that aligns with your values or supports causes you care about.
In today's crowded market, finding a provider that checks these boxes can be difficult. That's why ElectricityRates.com created this list of the Best Electricity Providers for 2023. Our Provider Score rating system brings you comprehensive scores you can use to identify the perfect electricity provider for you.
Provider Score™ Summary
|Provider||Provider Score||Energy Options||Service Areas|
|Constellation||CT, GA, IL, OH, MA, MD, NJ, PA, TX|
|Direct Energy||CT, IL, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, DC|
|Tomorrow Energy||PA, NJ, MD, OH, TX|
|Energy Harbor||IL, MD, OH, PA|
|Green Mountain Energy||IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, PA & TX|
|Frontier Utilities||TX, NJ, PA & OH|
|Spark Energy||CT, IL, MA, NJ, NY, PA & TX|
|Public Power||CT, IL, MD, MA, NY, OH, PA, RI, DC|
|APG&E||MD, NY, NJ, OH, PA, TX|
|New Power Texas||TX|
|Major Energy||NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, IL, OH, MD|
- Electricity Plans
- Natural Gas Plans
- 100% Renewable Plans
- Business Electricity
- Smart Home Bundles
Provider Score Rating System Overview
ElectricityRates.com's Provider Score rating system takes dozens of important data points to bring you comprehensive ratings of leading electricity providers in the US. Rating categories include the following:
Product Offering & Innovation
This category is about the plans a provider offers and how those plans fit your needs. It considers whether the provider has renewable energy plans, unique product bundles or other innovative offerings. It also looks at the cost and leniency of the provider's early termination fees.
Accessibility & Support
When you have a problem, you want it solved quickly and easily. The accessibility and support category examines the provider's customer support options, including whether the provider has online bill pay, online chat and a 24/7 customer service phone number.
Business History & Community Outreach
This category analyzes the provider's business reputation and values. It looks at how long the company has been in business, its accreditation by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and the work it does to positively impact the communities it serves.
The customer reviews category allows us to get a full overview of the customer reviews a provider receives. It does this by analyzing reviews from multiple sources including Google, Yelp, BBB, and more.
Best Electricity Providers for 2023
Best Overall Electricity Provider: Constellation
Service AreasCT, GA, IL, OH, MA, MD, NJ, PA, TX
Constellation is the nation's leading provider of carbon-free energy with a commitment to be 100% carbon-free by 2040. They serve over 2.5 million residential and business customers across the United States.
For the second year in a row, Constellation has earned the highest Provider Score and takes the top spot as the Best Electricity Provider.
- Flexible plans that fit practically any need, including 100% renewable, smart-home and A/C protection plans
- Excellent customer service and accessibility via online chat
- 20+ years of experience serving millions of residential and business customers
- Constellation and its employees are outstanding contributors to the communities they serve. In 2021 they contributed over $10M to support 4,000 organizations. Employees contributed 68K volunteer hours across 34 states.
Best Green Electricity Provider: Energy Harbor
Service AreasIL, MD, OH, PA
Energy Harbor is a retail energy provider specializing in providing clean, carbon-free energy for residents and businesses. They’re headquartered in Akron, Ohio and serve nearly one-million customers across Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Safety, reliability and sustainability are outlined as Energy Harbor’s core values.
The Best Green Electricity Provider for 2023 is Energy Harbor.
Why Energy Harbor?
- Energy Harbor offers a variety of affordable green and carbon-free electricity plans that help customers do their part to build a sustainable future
- Supplier of roughly 33 terawatt hours of clean carbon free energy which is enough to power more than 3.5 million homes and businesses annually
- Partnership with the United Way Foundation that raised $500,000 during the 2022 United Way Annual Campaign
- Committed to becoming a 100% carbon free, energy infrastructure and supply company in 2023
Most Charitable Electricity Provider: Direct Energy
Service AreasCT, IL, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, DC
Serving nearly 4 million residential customers, Direct Energy is one of the largest electricity, natural gas and home services providers in North America. They are also one of the largest commercial and industrial electricity with over 240,000 business electricity customers.
Serving people and communities at its core, Direct Energy took the top spot for the Most Charitable Electricity Provider:
Why Direct Energy?
- $5 million commitment to expand the Texas Children’s Heart Center at Texas Children’s Hospital
- Their Neighbor-to-Neighbor Bill Assistance program helps relieve up to $700 annually to low-income customers who qualify for the program
- $10,000 donated to Bike for Students to kids in local TX communities
- Meals for Families raised over $8,000, prepared over 13,000 meals, and packed 600 boxes of food for local citizens and families
Most Innovative Electricity Provider: Green Mountain Energy
Service AreasIL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, PA & TX
Green Mountain Energy is the oldest renewable retail electricity provider. Since its founding in 1997, Green Mountain Energy has expanded into seven electricity markets, with its customers avoiding nearly 100 billion pounds of carbon emissions through its renewable energy plans and services.
Green Mountain Energy takes the spot as the Most Innovative Electricity Provider for their diverse plan portfolio, which offers unique plans and perks suited to a wide array of customers.
Why Green Mountain?
- Being the pioneer of the renewable energy market, their energy plans have helped its consumers avoid nearly 100 billion pounds in CO2 emissions since its founding
- Their 67 solar farms and 8 wind farms across the country allow customers to opt for wind or solar energy plans, with the option for paperless and auto-pay discounts
- A solar buyback program that gives you credit for excess renewable energy produced by your home’s solar system
- They are a carbon-neutral company and operate their offices using renewable energy and using post-consumer waste recycled paper printed with soy-ink
2023 Featured Electricity Providers
Even though a provider didn't win a category doesn't mean it is not worth checking out. Many of the following providers are industry leaders that provide competitive rates, great customer service and more.
GoodCharlie’s residential electricity plans offer perks for dog owners, known as Pack Benefits, which include $750 toward emergency veterinary care, 24/7 video call access to licensed veterinarians, and bill roundups to support dog rescue programs that come at no cost to the customer.
TriEagle Energy has been a well-respected leader in the Texas retail energy industry for to 20 years. Their focus is delivering value through energy cost savings, instilling trust by understanding the energy needs of its customers and providing customized solutions and products.
TXU Energy, a Vistra Energy company, is a leading Texas electricity company serving more than two million residents and businesses across the Lone Star State. Their history can be traced back to 1882 when Dallas Electric Lighting Company first brought electricity to North Texas.
Reliant Energy is one of the largest electricity providers in the state of Texas. Its plan selection includes a plethora of fixed-rate plans, including some options for renewable energy. Supporting the communities it serves, Reliant has also donated millions of dollars to over 150 community programs across Texas.
Rhythm is a Texas electricity provider that provides renewable energy plans sourced from Texas wind farms. The company prides itself on its selection of plans with straightforward pricing and no hidden fees or gimmicks.
Founded in 2001, Cirro Energy is an electricity provider in Texas that offers a wide variety of fixed-rate plans, including some with unique bundles and incentives. Cirro is known for these plans and its excellent customer service.
Service AreasCT, IL, MA, NJ, NY, PA & TX
Spark Energy was found in 1999 in Houston, Texas and was an early pioneer in the retail energy market. Spark Energy prides itself on 3 specialties that set them apart from the rest: energy savings knowledge, customer service and community support.
Founded in 2012, 4Change Energy is a steward in their local Texas community and offers simple, affordable electricity plans. Their mission supports several charities including American Red Cross, the American Cancer Society, Feeding Texas, and Heroes for Children.
Service AreasCT, MA, NJ, NY, OH, PA, DC
Verde Energy USA was founded to help residents and businesses take advantage of the savings associated with state energy deregulation and the choice it provides. They are also committed to helping Americans move toward a more environmentally sound and economically sustainable renewable energy infrastructure.
Founded in 2005, Payless Power is a Texas electricity provider that sells prepaid electricity plans. Payless Power plans don’t require a security deposit for enrollment, making them a solid option for those that want to avoid them.
Service AreasPA, NJ, MD, OH, TX
Tomorrow Energy is a retail electricity and natural gas supplier with a mission of creating a positive impact in the world by giving customers more clean Energy Choices. Their electricity plans are backed by 100% National Wind Renewable Energy Certificates. All natural gas plans are backed by 100% carbon offsets.
Octopus Energy is a renewable electric provider looking to revolutionize retail energy. Its technologies are already bringing more affordable electricity to 17 million homes throughout the world, with plans to do the same in Texas.
Service AreasTX, NJ, PA & OH
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Frontier Utilities has been providing affordable energy plans to its customers for over a decade. Frontier’s mission is to create superior value and service for its customers, employees, communities and investors through the sale and supply of energy and related services.
Service AreasCT, IL, MD, MA, NY, OH, PA, RI, DC
Public Power is a retail energy provider that serves states throughout the Northeast and Midwest. Since 2008, they have served over one million homes and businesses. They pride themselves on offering competitive, and straight-forward energy plans with hassle-free customer service.
Service AreasNY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, IL, OH, MD
Major Energy is an electricity company based out of Houston that serves deregulated electricity and natural gas markets throughout the Northeast and Midwest. Major Energy offers multiple fixed-rate electricity plans, and also provides the ability to manage your account online.
Pulse Power is a company powered by Texans, for Texans. Their commitment is to provide convenient, affordable, and hassle-free electricity plans that fit you and your lifestyle. Pulse Power offers the following types of rates in terms ranging from 12-36 months.
Discount Power is an electricity provider based in Houston, TX with a solid selection of fixed-rate plans and great customer reviews.
Varsity Energy is an electricity provider in Texas that offers straightforward fixed rate-electricity plans and fantastic customer service.
How Do You Find the Best Electricity Provider?
For many, the provider that offers the lowest cost plan is the best. But while this is undoubtedly important, there are other factors you should consider.
- Plan Length – How long a provider will let you lock in a fixed-rate electricity plan to protect you from market fluctuations and rate hikes.
- Electricity Supply Rate – How much you pay for electricity supply from your provider. You can find your current electricity supply rate on your bill.
- Renewable Energy – Consider whether you want a renewable energy plan that allows you to directly support clean energy.
- Special Offers – Take a look to see if there are any special offers that fit your needs.
- Terms & Conditions – It's important to consider any other fees or terms that you should know about.
- Provider Score – As we stated earlier, a company's Provider Score will give you a solid overall rating you can use when comparing providers.
Lastly, you don't want to forget about provider reputation. While most providers are reputable, others will hide behind hidden fees and gimmicks that can cost you more down the road. That's why we vet providers on ElectricityRates.com prior to featuring them. This means when you enter your ZIP Code above you'll only see the best of the best.
How do Retail Electricity Providers Work?
To understand how retail electricity providers work, it's important to distinguish between electricity providers and utility providers.
- Utility Providers – These companies are in charge of delivering electricity to your home. You cannot switch utilities, as each utility has a designated service area. The utility provider you have will depend on what utility serves your location.
- Retail Electricity Providers (aka Electricity Suppliers) – Electricity providers supply the electricity you use. In states with Energy Choice, you have the option to switch electricity providers.
In almost every state, your utility provider is also your electricity provider by default. You have the option to switch electricity providers if you live in a state with Energy Choice.
Texas is the only state where this is not the case. In Texas, you must choose your electricity provider because most utilities don't supply electricity.
On your electric bill, any charges under "distribution" or "delivery" go to your utility provider. Charges under "supply" or "generation" go to your electricity provider. Distribution/delivery charges are set by your state Public Utilities Commission (PUC), and they will not change after switching electricity providers.
Best Electricity Companies By State
FAQs About Electricity Suppliers
- What is the best electricity provider?
Constellation earned the highest Provider Score, and therefore, is ElectricityRates.com’s Best Electricity Provider. It earned this high score thanks to its wide selection of plans, fantastic customer service and generous community initiatives. However, it’s important to note that the best electricity provider for you could vary based on your needs.
- How do I compare electricity providers?
The best way to compare electricity providers is by using an electricity shopping platform like ElectricityRates.com. This allows you to compare multiple providers and plans in your area. Plus, ElectricityRates.com only works with the best providers in the industry, so you can feel confident when you switch.
- How do I choose an electricity provider?
First, look at the provider’s plan selection to determine whether it offers the rate and plan type you want. After that, you can consider the provider’s reputation, mission and community involvement. You can also use the provider’s Provider Score rating—which considers all these important factors—to find the best provider for you.
- Which provider offers the cheapest electricity rates?
The provider that offers the cheapest electricity rates will differ based on your area and the time you sign up for a plan.
- How do I find the best electricity provider near me?
To find the best electricity provider in your area, use the guide and ratings on this page to compare providers. To see which providers service your area specifically, enter your ZIP Code at the top of the page.