Don't waste your day going from site to site comparing electric suppliers. With comprehensive ratings and overviews of the best suppliers in the state, this in-depth resource can help you find the perfect Maryland electricity supplier for you faster than ever.
ElectricityRates.com has done extensive research to compile the Best Electricity Providers in Maryland for 2023. To handle this job, we used our Provider Score rating system, which takes a comprehensive review of choices available so you can easily pick your perfect electricity provider.
List of Maryland Energy Suppliers
Provider Score™ Summary
|Provider||Provider Score||Energy Options||Service Areas|
|Constellation||CT, GA, IL, OH, MA, MD, NJ, PA, TX|
|Direct Energy||CT, IL, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, DC|
|Tomorrow Energy||PA, NJ, MD, OH, TX|
|Energy Harbor||IL, MD, OH, PA|
|Green Mountain Energy||IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, PA & TX|
|Inspire Clean Energy||IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OH, PA DC|
|Public Power||CT, IL, MD, MA, NY, OH, PA, RI, DC|
|APG&E||MD, NY, NJ, OH, PA, TX|
|SmartEnergy||IL, DC, MA, MD, NH, NJ, OH, PA, RI|
|Major Energy||NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, IL, OH, MD|
- Electricity Plans
- Natural Gas Plans
- 100% Renewable Plans
- Business Electricity
- Smart Home Bundles
Our Provider Score rating system is based on four major factors:
Product offerings & innovation:
Does the provider have a wide range of energy products you’re looking for at a competitive price? Are they committed to regularly offering new and innovative products to their customers? We dig through all of their product offers and highlight any cancellation or hidden power fees so you’re never caught off guard.
Accessibility & Support:
When you have a pressing question or the power flickers during a big storm, you want to know your provider has you covered. Don’t risk you and your loved one’s safety with providers who outsource their customer support. We examine each provider’s support capabilities. This includes whether the provider has e-bill pay, online chat, and a 24/7 hotline phone number.
What are customers saying about the provider’s service and products? We analyze reviews from all major reputable sources, including Google, Yelp, Better Business Bureau, and more!
Business history & community reach:
Our team researches providers to ensure they are in good standing with the Better Business Bureau, do not have any dangerous recalls or customer complaints, and verify how long the business has operated in good standing. We also let you know if the energy provider gives back to the community.
Learn more about our Provider Score methodology here.
Compare Electric Rates & Companies
|Provider||Plan Name||Length||Rate Per kWh||Sign Up|
Live Brighter™ 12
Live Brighter™ 18
9 Month Home Power Plan
24 Month Home Power Plan
12 Month Fixed
|Plan||Rate Per kWh|
Live Brighter™ 12
Live Brighter™ 18
9 Month Home Power Plan
24 Month Home Power Plan
12 Month Fixed
- 100% Renewable Sources
Best Maryland Electricity Suppliers For 2023
ElectricityRates.com's Provider Score rating system considers multiple categories, including product offering, customer support, business history, community outreach and customer reviews, to bring you comprehensive ratings of the best electricity suppliers in Maryland.
Best Overall Electricity Provider: Constellation
Service AreasCT, GA, IL, OH, MA, MD, NJ, PA, TX
Constellation is the nation's leading provider of carbon-free energy with a commitment to be 100% carbon-free by 2040. They serve over 2.5 million residential and business customers across the United States.
For the second year in a row, Constellation has earned the highest Provider Score and takes the top spot as the Best Electricity Provider.
- Flexible plans that fit practically any need, including 100% renewable, smart-home and A/C protection plans
- Excellent customer service and accessibility via online chat
- 20+ years of experience serving millions of residential and business customers
- Constellation and its employees are outstanding contributors to the communities they serve. In 2021 they contributed over $10M to support 4,000 organizations. Employees contributed 68K volunteer hours across 34 states.
Best Green Electricity Provider: Energy Harbor
Service AreasIL, MD, OH, PA
Energy Harbor is a retail energy provider specializing in providing clean, carbon-free energy for residents and businesses. They’re headquartered in Akron, Ohio and serve nearly one-million customers across Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Safety, reliability and sustainability are outlined as Energy Harbor’s core values.
The Best Green Electricity Provider for 2023 is Energy Harbor.
Why Energy Harbor?
- Energy Harbor offers a variety of affordable green and carbon-free electricity plans that help customers do their part to build a sustainable future
- Supplier of roughly 33 terawatt hours of clean carbon free energy which is enough to power more than 3.5 million homes and businesses annually
- Partnership with the United Way Foundation that raised $500,000 during the 2022 United Way Annual Campaign
- Committed to becoming a 100% carbon free, energy infrastructure and supply company in 2023
Most Charitable Electricity Provider: Direct Energy
Service AreasCT, IL, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, DC
Serving nearly 4 million residential customers, Direct Energy is one of the largest electricity, natural gas and home services providers in North America. They are also one of the largest commercial and industrial electricity with over 240,000 business electricity customers.
Serving people and communities at its core, Direct Energy took the top spot for the Most Charitable Electricity Provider:
Why Direct Energy?
- $5 million commitment to expand the Texas Children’s Heart Center at Texas Children’s Hospital
- Their Neighbor-to-Neighbor Bill Assistance program helps relieve up to $700 annually to low-income customers who qualify for the program
- $10,000 donated to Bike for Students to kids in local TX communities
- Meals for Families raised over $8,000, prepared over 13,000 meals, and packed 600 boxes of food for local citizens and families
Most Innovative Electricity Provider: Green Mountain Energy
Service AreasIL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, PA & TX
Green Mountain Energy is the oldest renewable retail electricity provider. Since its founding in 1997, Green Mountain Energy has expanded into seven electricity markets, with its customers avoiding nearly 100 billion pounds of carbon emissions through its renewable energy plans and services.
Green Mountain Energy takes the spot as the Most Innovative Electricity Provider for their diverse plan portfolio, which offers unique plans and perks suited to a wide array of customers.
Why Green Mountain?
- Being the pioneer of the renewable energy market, their energy plans have helped its consumers avoid nearly 100 billion pounds in CO2 emissions since its founding
- Their 67 solar farms and 8 wind farms across the country allow customers to opt for wind or solar energy plans, with the option for paperless and auto-pay discounts
- A solar buyback program that gives you credit for excess renewable energy produced by your home’s solar system
- They are a carbon-neutral company and operate their offices using renewable energy and using post-consumer waste recycled paper printed with soy-ink
How to Compare Suppliers & Plans
Our simple and secure platform lets you compare great rates from the best electricity suppliers in Maryland. To see what's available in your area and switch with confidence today, follow these three steps.
- Enter Your ZIP Code – Enter your ZIP Code to view competing offers from leading Maryland electricity suppliers.
- Compare Suppliers & Plans – Compare suppliers and rates side-by-side to find the perfect electricity plan for you.
- Switch in Minutes – After you find the plan that best fits your needs, switch on the site for free.
What To Keep In Mind While Comparing Providers In Maryland
The ElectricityRates.com Marketplace makes comparing plans straightforward. However, there are still a few things you should understand before you make the switch.
- Electricity Supply/Generation Rate – Your electricity supply/generation rate is the rate you pay for each kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity you use. This is the number you can use while comparing electricity plans to see if you can save.
- Plan Length – Most plans on ElectricityRates.com are fixed-rate plans, which lock in your electricity supply rate for the length of the plan. Plan lengths vary from 6 months to 3 years. Just be sure to note any cancellation/early termination fees fixed-rate plans often have.
- Renewable Energy – Many suppliers offer renewable energy plans. These plans ensure that no matter how much electricity you use, an equal amount of renewable electricity goes into the grid. Renewable plans are clearly marked in the ElectricityRates.com Marketplace.
- Supplier Reputation – While most suppliers are reputable, some have earned a less than stellar reputation. To ensure the integrity of the suppliers on ElectricityRates.com, we vet them extensively before the supplier can feature plans on our site. More than that, our Provider Score rating system can help you find the best of the best.
Electric Companies In Maryland: Utility vs Provider
If you're new to Energy Choice in Connecticut, you should know the difference between your electricity supplier and your utility provider.
Your utility provider is the company that distributes electricity to the homes and businesses in your area. This is the company you pay your electric bill through each month.
Your utility provider is supported by the distribution/delivery charges on your bill. These charges are approved by the Maryland Public Service Commission, and will not change if you switch electricity suppliers. This is because your utility provider will still deliver your electricity no matter what supplier you have.
Here are the four main utility companies in Maryland:
Your electricity supplier (aka electricity provider) is the company that supplies the electricity you use.
In Maryland, your utility provider is also your electricity supplier by default. However, unlike your utility provider, you do have the option to switch to another supplier.
To find your current supplier and how much it's charging you, look for the supply/generation charges on your electric bill. If you decide to switch suppliers, you will see your new supplier and rate on this portion of your bill within one to two billing cycles.
FAQs About Maryland Electricity Suppliers
- Who is the cheapest electric supplier in Maryland?
The cheapest electric supplier will vary depending on where you live in Maryland. To find the lowest rate for you, it’s best to compare multiple suppliers and plans on an electricity shopping site like ElectricityRates.com.
- Who is the best electric supplier in Maryland?
With the highest Provider Score, Constellation is the best electric supplier in Maryland. However, it’s important to note that the best supplier for you may be different depending on your needs.
- How do you compare Maryland electric suppliers?
To compare suppliers, you should consider multiple factors including their plan selection, customer service, community involvement, business history and customer reviews. Thankfully, ElectricityRates.com’s Provider Score system takes all these important factors into account and presents you with an easy-to-analyze score to find the best suppliers in your area.