If you are a resident or business owner in Boston, you have probably heard a lot of hype about electric choice and retail electricity providers in Massachusetts. You may have even received phone calls or mailings from providers trying to get your business. But the truth is, not all retail electricity providers are created the same.
Here at ElectricityRates.com, our goals are to (1) provide you with reputable retail electricity providers that offer low Boston electricity rates and (2) to give you information to help you make the best decision for your home or business’s electric needs.
Switch Boston Electricity Rates
If you are considering switching from Eversource Energy to a retail electricity provider, you’re doing so for good reason. Many providers offer much lower rates than what you pay for electricity from NSTAR. But how do you know if you are getting a plan that not only has the best rates but is tailored towards your home or business’s particular electricity needs? Well, we can help with that too. Read on to learn how to make the best decision for you.
Compare Boston Electricity Providers
You can use our free Compare & Switch tool on the right side of this page to view a list of some of the best retail electricity providers in Boston. Type in your zip code and click Switch
Find Lower Boston Electricity Rates
You’ll of course need to find the rate that you are currently paying. This rate, expressed in cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) can be found on your most recent electric bill and will appear something like: 7.354 cents/kWh or $0.07354 cents/kWh.
Consider Other Features of a Electric Plan
Here are some questions that you’ll want to ask yourself when comparing providers and plans:
- Is the rate ‘fixed’ or ‘variable’? Fixed-rate plans have rates that won’t change during the duration of your contract. Variable-rate plans have rates that vary along with the electric wholesale marke and are subject to change any month.
- What is the duration of the contract? Contract terms are often offered in terms of 3 to 36 months. Choose a shorter term if you think NSTAR’s rates will go down soon, and choose a longer plan if you think their rates will go up soon.
- Are additional fees involved? Some providers may require a sign-on fee.
- What incentives do the providers have to offer? Electricity providers want your business, so many offer incentives to keep you as a customer. Sign-on bonuses, rewards programs, refer-a-friend discounts, and others are among the incentives offered by many providers.
- Interested in Renewable Electricity? Many providers offer partial or 100% green plans that supply your electricity from renewable sources such as wind, solar, hydropower, and biomass. You’ll find that many providers offer green plans with rates well below NSTAR’s rates.
Eversource Energy will still deliver your electricity, maintain the wires and poles that transmit the electricity to your home or business, respond to emergencies, and deliver your bill. You will continue to receive the same service reliability since Eversource Energy is responsible for the delivery and transmission portion of your services. The only real difference that you see will be a different rate on your utility bill.