Save With CenterPoint Customer Programs
If you live in the Greater Houston area, you probably know that CenterPoint Energy is your electric utility provider. However, what you may not know about are all the customer programs it promotes. Many of these programs can help you save on energy bills, appliances and more!
There’s a little something for everyone, so take a quick look below to find the perfect program that puts a little extra cash in your pocket.
CenterPoint Program Overview
- Agencies In Action – Helps low-income CenterPoint customers receive energy efficiency upgrades to their homes.
- CenterPoint’s Home Energy Analyzer – A fast and free service offered by CenterPoint to analyze your home’s energy usage, with practical tips you can use to cut consumption.
- Coolsaver Free A/C Tune-Ups – Receive a free A/C tune-up to get your air conditioner working like new.
- HVAC Rebates – Get rebates on HVAC upgrades ranging from $150-$3,000 depending on your upgrade.
- Smart Thermostat Coupon – Receive a $50 coupon on smart thermostats.
- Savings On LED Lighting – Get discounts on LED lighting at participating Houston retailers or online.
Agencies In Action
Agencies In Action is a program that helps low-income households receive “comprehensive whole-house energy efficiency upgrades.”
CenterPoint does not give much more information than that. However, similar programs offered by other utility companies often look something like this:
- Energy Audit – An energy technician comes to your household to access the energy-efficiency of your home.
- Immediate Upgrades – While the technician is there, they may make simple energy-efficiency improvements (installing LED lights, low-flow showerheads, etc.)
- Larger Upgrades – Depending on your need for them, the energy tech will recommend bigger energy upgrades. The program may pay for all, or for a portion, of these upgrades.
Again, it’s important to note that CenterPoint does not directly say that this is how the program works, but it is how low-income programs often work with other utilities in the US.
Do You Qualify and How Do You Apply?
To qualify for this program, you must have an income level that is under 200% of the federal poverty guidelines. The following is 200% of the federal poverty guidelines for 2020:
- 1 resident; maximum household income $25,520
- 2 residents; maximum household income $34,480
- 3 residents; maximum household income $43,440
- 4 residents; maximum household income $52,400
- 5 residents; maximum household income $61,360
- 6 residents; maximum household income $70,320
- 7 residents; maximum household income $79,280
- 8 residents; maximum household income $88,240
- Add $8,960 for each additional resident over 8 residents.
To see if you can get assistance, contact some of the organizations on this page and ask them about the Agencies in Action program.
CenterPoint’s Home Energy Analyzer
With CenterPoint’s Home Energy Analyzer, you can see a free report on what’s consuming the most electricity in your household. It will then give you practical tips that you can use to cut back on your energy consumption.
Do You Qualify and How Do You Get A Report?
Any CenterPoint Energy customer in the Greater Houston area can use CenterPoint’s Home Energy Analyzer.
All you need to do is go to the Analyze Your Energy Use page on CenterPoint’s website, sign in to your CenterPoint account and run the report. It will take you less than 10 minutes.
Coolsaver Free A/C Tune-Ups
Is that central A/C just not running like it used to? A tune-up may get it running like new.
Through the Coolsaver A/C Tune-Up program, you can receive an air conditioning tune-up for free.
CenterPoint states that an A/C tune-up can cut your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 27%. Considering cooling can represent up to 50% of a home’s energy consumption, that 27% cut can make a solid dent in your energy bill.
Do You Qualify and How Do You Apply?
All CenterPoint customers in the Greater Houston area can receive a Coolsaver A/C Tune-Up. You just have to meet the following criteria:
- You have a working central A/C or heat pump that’s at least one year old
- The system is no larger than 5 tons (most residential A/C units will qualify)
- You cannot live in an apartment building
- You have not received a free Coolsaver A/C Tune-Up in the last five years.
Upfront Cost: ~$1,000 to $10,000+ depending on upgrade
If you are planning any upgrades to your home’s HVAC system, you should definitely check out the rebates CenterPoint has in store.
When you purchase a more efficient HVAC system, you can receive rebates ranging from $150 to $3,000, depending on the system’s size and SEER rating. SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio and is a measure of how efficient an air conditioning unit is. Rebates for A/C units start at 16 SEER.
If you want to learn more about these rebates, CenterPoint directs you to contact them at CNPEE@centerpointenergy.com. Be sure to state that you are asking about HVAC rebates in the subject line.
Smart Thermostat Coupon
If you want to purchase a smart thermostat, there’s no reason to pay full price. As a CenterPoint Houston Electric customer, you can get a $50 discount.
Smart thermostats have many features that you can use to curb your energy consumption and lower your electricity bill. Depending on the model, you can…
- Control the thermostat from your phone
- Program temperatures based on the time of day and day of the week
- Have it automatically shut off when you leave
- Track HVAC energy consumption
How To Purchase A Smart Thermostat At A Discount
To get your discount, follow these simple steps.
- Follow this link
- Pick the thermostat you want
- Verify that you are a CenterPoint Energy customer in Greater Houston.
- Receive your discount code
Savings On LED Lighting
Possibly the easiest way to save energy is by purchasing energy-efficient LED light bulbs. These light bulbs use only 25% of the energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional light bulbs.
To make it an even easier choice for you, there are many discounts on ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs in the Houston area.
How To Find Discounts On LED Lighting
There are two places where CenterPoint Energy customers can find discounts on LED light bulbs.
- At Home Depot, Lowes and Sam’s Club retailers in the Houston area.
- On CenterPoint’s Techniart online marketplace.
The programs outlined above are all the programs CenterPoint currently offers that provide free services, discounts and rebates. You can learn more about them by visiting CenterPoint’s website.
Of course, another great way to lower your electricity bill is by switching Texas electricity plans. With ElectricityRates.com, you can compare the leading Texas electricity providers and plans side by side to find the perfect energy solution for you.
Jason is a content marketer and writer that is obsessed with creating things that are radically useful for the reader. The main industries he focuses on are energy, finance, and marketing (among anything else that may interest him).
Share this article:CenterPoint, Customer Programs, Texas, utility