If your utility is Met-Ed, Penelec, Penn Power or West Penn Power, you have the opportunity to take advantage of several programs FirstEnergy offers its Pennsylvania customers. From rebates to free energy audits, these programs can help you save big on your energy bills, appliances and more!
FirstEnergy Customer Assistance Programs
- WARM Program – Low-income customers can qualify for free energy-efficiency upgrades to their home.
- FirstEnergy’s Home Energy Analyzer – An online report on your home’s energy usage to help you see where you can save the most.
- Appliance Turn-In Program – Recycle your old working refrigerator and get $50
- Residential Audit Program – Have an energy technician come out to your home to make and recommend energy efficiency improvements.
- HVAC Rebates – Get rebates on a wide variety of heating, ventilation and air conditioning services.
- Appliance Rebates – Get rebates on ENERGY STAR certified appliances to save on your appliance and energy bills.
- Water Heating Rebates – Get an instant $500 dollars off your next water heater at participating retailers.
Upfront Cost: $0
FirstEnergy’s WARM Program is for its low-income customers. It offers three services:
- A Free Home Energy Audit – An energy technician will evaluate your home’s energy usage.
- An Energy Savings Plan – The energy tech will then help you create an energy-savings plan.
- Free Energy-Efficiency Improvements – Depending on the results of your audit and your electricity usage, you may be eligible for free energy-efficiency improvements. This could include anything from adding insulation to replacing your fridge.
How To Qualify And Apply To The WARM Program
Since this is a low-income program, you must satisfy the following criteria to qualify:
- You have an average electricity usage of at least 375 kWh a month
- You have a gross household income at or below the following, depending on the number of residents in the household:
- 1 resident; maximum household income $25,520
- 2 residents; maximum household income $34,480
- 3 residents; maximum household income $43,440
- 4 residents; maximum household income $52,400
- 5 residents; maximum household income $61,360
- 6 residents; maximum household income $70,320
- 7 residents; maximum household income $79,280
- 8 residents; maximum household income $88,240
- Add $8,960 for each additional resident over 8 residents.
To apply, you can either call the Dollar Energy Fund at 1-888-282-6816 or you can complete the online form. Click on your utility to go to its corresponding application. Proof of income is required.
FirstEnergy’s Home Energy Analyzer
Upfront Cost: $0
Get a better understanding of your home’s energy usage with FirstEnergy’s Home Energy Analyzer. This tool can help you find what’s consuming the most energy in your home, which you can use to see where you can cut back to save the most.
The best part about this program is that it is quick and easy. Just click on the link in the previous paragraph, log into your account and see your results.
When you are done, check out the How to Lower Your Electricity Bill Guide for some suggestions on how you can lower the usage of some of the biggest energy suckers in your home.
Appliance Turn-In Program
Upfront Cost: $0
Have an old working refrigerator or freezer sitting in your garage?
With the Appliance Turn-In Program, you can recycle that old appliance and get paid $50. That’s on top of the estimated $100 a year you can save on electricity when you get rid of that old refrigerator or freezer.
All you need to do is schedule a time you want your fridge to be picked up. You can also recycle an old A/C unit or dehumidifier with your qualifying fridge to get an additional $25.
Residential Audit Program
Upfront Cost: $250
The Residential Audit Program is similar to the WARM program above. With it, a professional energy tech will come out to your home and analyze your home’s energy usage. They will then provide you with the following:
- An energy report for your home with ways to lower your energy usage
- Tests for air leaks throughout the home
- Installation of energy-efficient products, valued at up to $200
- Recommendations for major upgrades, along with info on how you can qualify rebates on larger services like attic insulation.
FirstEnergy states that this is typically a $350 dollar value, provided to you for $250. However, if your energy tech installs enough products that save at least 350 kWh, you may be eligible for a rebate of up to $250.
Upfront Cost: $75-$10,000+ depending on the service
FirstEnergy offers various rebates on the installation or tune-up of HVAC equipment when you use a participating contractor.
- $50 rebate on HVAC tune-up
- $150 rebate on furnace fan motor
- Up to $200 rebate for the installation of a high-efficiency central air conditioner
- Up to $500 rebate on installation of air source heat pump
- $200 rebate on ductless mini-split heat pump
- $75 rebate on installation of package terminal air conditioner
- $150 rebate on installation of packaged terminal heat pump
- $25 rebate on the purchase of programmable thermostat
- $600 rebate on installation of ENERGY STAR certified geothermal heat pump
Upfront Cost: Around $150-$2,000+ depending on appliance
If you have purchased, or plan on purchasing certain ENERGY STAR certified appliances, FirstEnergy offers rebates for that purchase. All you need to do is fill out the online application.
ENERGY STAR certifications ensure your appliance’s energy efficiency. That means that with the help of this program, you can not only save on your appliance, but also on your energy usage down the line.
List Of Appliance Rebates
- Clothes Washers:
- Get a $25 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers.
- Clothes Dryers:
- Get a $25 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryers with a moisture sensor.
- Get a $50 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryers with an electric heat pump.
- Get a $25 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators.
- Get a $50 rebate on CEE Tier 2 ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators.
- Get a $75 rebate on CEE Tier 3 ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators.
- Get a $25 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified freezers.
- Get a $25 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified dehumidifiers.
It’s also important to note that FirstEnergy has “enhanced rebates” for low-income households. Eligibility is as follows:
- 1 resident; maximum household income $19,140
- 2 residents; maximum household income $25,860
- 3 residents; maximum household income $32,580
- 4 residents; maximum household income $39,300
- 5 residents; maximum household income $46,020
- 6 residents; maximum household income $52,740
- 7 residents; maximum household income $59,460
- 8 residents; maximum household income $66,180
- Add $4,480 for each additional resident over 8 residents.
Water Heating Rebates
Upfront Cost: Roughly $1,000-$2,000 depending on appliance
At participating retail stores, you can qualify for an instant $500 discount on qualifying heat pump water heaters. These heaters must meet ENERGY STAR requirements, meaning it has an energy factor (EF) of 2.0 or higher and have a maximum 55-gallon capacity.
According to FirstEnergy, an ENERGY STAR certified water heater can save a four-person household over $300 on their electricity bills.
If none of the above programs work for you, you can also consider switching Pennsylvania electricity providers. Enter your ZIP Code at the top of this page to start comparing electricity plans.