No matter your city, it’s important to know about your local utilities. You need to know who’s providing you with gas, water, and electricity to know who to contact when you’re having issues. Knowing who your utility provider is in Dallas is also paramount if you hope to save money on your gas and electric bills. If you’re curious and want to know more about utilities in Dallas, TX, you’ve come to the right place.
Table of Contents
Types of Utilities in Dallas, TX
There are several different utilities in Dallas, TX, as there are in every part of the state. Here are the three principal utilities serving Dallas residents.
If you live in any part of Dallas, you won’t have to worry about choosing your water utility company. Instead, water gets provided to the residents of the city by Dallas water utilities, which Dallas City Hall manages.
As with water, you don’t have to worry about choosing your gas provider in Dallas. Most of the city has gas provided by Atmos Energy, one of the largest gas companies in Texas.
Electricity is the final and most important of the three major utilities in Dallas, TX. Understanding your electricity utilities is so important because you can choose your own power provider. Unlike water and gas, where your utility company is selected for you, you can shop around for the best electricity rates available in Dallas.
Choosing your own electricity provider is a great way to save money on your monthly utilities in Dallas, TX. However, because more than 100 REPs operate in Dallas, conducting the necessary research can take days. To save time and money, enter your ZIP Code into the free rate comparison tool at the top of the page. We’ll compile a list of the best electricity companies and rates in your area so that you can make the right choice.
However, while you can choose your power provider, you can’t choose the utility company that delivers electricity to your home or business. If you live in Dallas, that job will always fall to Oncor, one of Texas’s five major electricity delivery services.
How Do the Electricity Utilities Work in Dallas, TX?
While gas and water utilities in Dallas, TX, are relatively straightforward, electrical utilities are slightly more complicated. There are three different power companies that play a role in how electricity gets created, sold, and delivered in Dallas, and here they are.
Power Generating Plants
As their name indicates, power-generating plants are the power plants that create electricity. This includes solar power plants, nuclear power plants, wind farms, and power plants that use coal, oil, and natural gas to generate electricity. No matter who you purchase your electricity from, it will always come from a power-generating plant.
Transmission and Distribution Utilities (TDUs)
TDUs, such as Oncor Electric Delivery, are the utility companies that manage the poles, lines, cables, transformers, and meters that carry electricity to your home or business. They are responsible when the power goes out in your neighborhood and for maintaining or repairing the equipment that provides electricity to your home .
Retail Electric Providers (REPs)
The final player in electrical utilities in Dallas, TX, is the REP. REPs are the companies from which you purchase electricity and pay your monthly power bill. Your REP buys electricity from power-generating plants and sells it to you at an upcharge. They then work with your local TDU and compensate them for delivering electricity to your home or business.
How to Save Money on Utilities in Dallas, TX
The best way to save money on your electrical utilities in Dallas, TX, is by comparing electricity rates. Besides comparing rates and choosing the best one, here are a few other things you can do to save money on electricity.
- Use an electricity comparison service to compare rates quickly and efficiently.
- Take advantage of deals or promotions offered by electricity providers.
- Choose an electricity plan that fits your lifestyle, schedule, and needs.
- Turn to the pros at ElectricityRates.com for help when choosing your residential or business electricity utilities in Dallas, TX.
A Guide to Setting Up Your Utilities in Dallas, TX
If you’re new to Dallas and are getting around to setting up your utilities, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. However, there’s nothing to worry about if you follow these simple instructions.
- To set up your water utilities, you can call Dallas City Hall, visit them in person, or set up your plan online. All they need is your address and contact information to get started.
- To set up your gas utilities, contact Atmos Energy over the phone or visit their website. All they need is your address and contact information to get started.
- To set up your electricity utilities, the best option is to use our marketplace to shop for a provider. You will receive a list of providers who service your home from there. We’ll be with you every step of the way, providing support and assistance as needed while you complete the enrollment process.
How to Choose the Right Electricity Utility Company in Dallas
If you’re serious about saving money on your utilities in Dallas, TX, use ElectricityRates.com to compare Dallas electricity rates, plans, and companies. We take the guesswork out of choosing your electricity plan by compiling a complete list of all the best plans in your ZIP Code. We also provide all the information you need about each plan and the company offering it to make the right decision. Here’s how it works.
- Enter your ZIP Code into the free rate comparison tool at the top of the page.
- Our intuitive search engine shops for the best rates based on your exact home address, location, home size, and actual usage.
- Examine the list of potential plans that we have listed from highest recommended to least recommended.
- You can go through the list of plans and check things such as the listed rate, the tiered rates based on usage, your estimated bill, the REPs reputation, hidden fees, perks and benefits, and anything else you need to know about the plan.
- Once you find the plan you like, you can select it and enroll immediately without disrupting your current service.
When comparing electrical utilities in Dallas, TX, nobody does it better or faster than ElectricityRates.com.