If you're a United Illuminating (UI) customer, you have thousands of dollars worth of savings available to you through rebates, discounts and special programs. Many of these savings are through Energize Connecticut, a statewide initiative dedicated to making homes and businesses in the state more energy efficient.
These rebates and programs span a variety of energy upgrades and services. Whether you're looking to save thousands on a new heating system, want discounts on efficient light bulbs or something in between, you're bound to find something that works for you.
United Illuminating (UI) Program Overview
- UI Smart Solutions – Instant discounts on energy-efficient products.
- Home Energy Solutions – Improve the energy efficiency of your home with an energy audit.
- HVAC Rebates And Discounts – Save $1,500+ on your next HVAC upgrade.
- Water Heater Discounts – Save up to $750 on your next water heater.
- Residential New Construction Program – Get up to $7,000 in rebates for your new home.
- Looking For Other Ways To Save?
UI Smart Solutions
UI Smart Solutions is a marketplace you can use to find discounts on energy products like light bulbs and smart thermostats. Here are some of the largest discounts at the time of this writing:
- $100+ Off Select Smart Thermostats
- 40% Off Select LED Light Bulbs
To capture these savings, all you need to do is go to uismartsolutions.com and select the products you want to buy. When you check out, the site will verify that you're a UI customer and apply the discounts to your order.
Home Energy Solutions
Through UI’s Home Energy Solutions program, you can get a full home energy audit and improve the energy efficiency of your home for only $50. The average Connecticut household that participates in this program will receive $1,000 in services and around $200 in energy savings a year.
During a home energy audit, an energy technician comes to your home to make and recommend energy efficiency improvements. This includes
- The installation of energy-efficient products, like LED light bulbs, low-flow showerheads and smart plugs.
- Finding and sealing leaks in your ducts, doors and windows
- Safety tests that test appliances and gas lines for combustion, carbon monoxide and leaks.
After these initial tests and improvements, your energy tech will suggest further recommendations to increase the energy efficiency of your home. They will also make you aware of any rebates and discounts available to you through Energize CT. For example, right now you may be able to get $1.70 off per square foot of insulation recommended by the energy tech.
On top of all that, you may be able to waive the $50 fee and qualify for special rebates if you fall under certain household income thresholds.
How To Apply For A Home Energy Solutions Assessment
If you want to apply for a Home Energy Solutions assessment, you have two options.
HVAC Rebates & Discounts
With HVAC expenses often making up 50% of a household's energy costs, many utilities offer programs to improve the energy efficiency of these systems. UI has discounts and rebates for four different types of HVAC systems:
- Central Air Conditioners ($200 per unit rebate) – Rebate for ENERGY STAR-certified air conditioners.
- Air Source Heat Pumps ($250 – $1,500 per ton) – Get $250+ off central or ductless heat pumps and possibly save hundreds of dollars a year on your energy costs.
- Geothermal Heat Pump ($750-$1,500 per ton rebate) – Geothermal heat pumps use pipes that go underground to absorb the heat from the Earth's crust. These systems are expensive to install, but can save you up to 70% on your heating costs because they are roughly four times more efficient than a traditional HVAC system.
- Natural Gas, Oil or Propane Heating Systems ($35-$750 discount) – You don't have to miss out on the discounts if you don't use electricity to heat your home. You can also find discounts on high-efficiency natural gas, oil and propane heating systems through UI.
How To Apply For HVAC Rebates & Discounts
To qualify for these discounts and rebates, the system you purchase must hit certain energy-efficiency standards and be installed by a certified contractor. You can find more information by visiting either EnergizeCT.com or United Illuminating's website.
Water Heater Discounts
United Illuminating offers three discounts on ENERGY STAR-certified water heaters:
- Heat Pump Water Heater ($750 discount) – These electric water heaters are two-three times more efficient than a regular water heater.
- Natural Gas Water Heater ($300 discount) – Receive a $300 discount on a natural gas tankless water heater or natural gas standalone condensing water heater.
To get these discounts, the water heater you install must hit certain energy-efficiency requirements. Since water heaters make up about 14% of the average home's energy consumption, purchasing one of these efficient models could put a significant dent into your energy bills.
You can find more details on the requirements for these discounted water heaters on United Illuminating's website.
Residential New Construction Program
If you're building a new home, you may be able to qualify for rebates if you build your home to certain energy efficiency standards.
Rebates ranging from $1,500-$7,000 are available based on your new home's Home Energy Rating Systems (HERS) index.
On top of this, UI promotes bonus national rebates you can qualify for. If you build your home to ENERGY STAR, LEED for Homes or other national program requirements, you may qualify for additional rebates.
How To Use The Residential New Construction Program
If you want to use the residential new construction program, follow these steps:
- Call 877-WISE-USE (877-947-3873) – Call while you're still in the planning stage to learn more. You can also have your HERS Rater call if you would like.
- Hire a HERS Rater – You can find participating HERS Raters on EnergizeCT.com.
- Submit Application Plans – Before you move forward with construction, your HERS Rater submits an application with your plans.
- Build Your Home And Conduct Tests – Build your home and your HERS Rater will conduct tests and inspections along the way.
- Submit Your Final Rebate Application
Learn more about the Residential New Construction Program.
Looking For Other Ways To Save On Your Electricity Bill?
Many of the discounts and programs above require you to spend money to save money. And while the savings you get on your energy bills down the line can make up for the money you spend, some people just don't want to put that money down in the first place.
Thankfully, if you feel this way, you can save by switching to an electricity provider with a lower electricity supply rate for free.
With ElectricityRates.com, you can make your own switching process a breeze. Its platform lets you compare electricity plans from multiple providers side by side. From there, you can switch right on the site in minutes.
It's really that simple. Just enter your ZIP Code at the top of this page to get started.
|Provider||Plan Name||Length||Rate Per kWh||Sign Up|
36 Month Home Power Plan
Live Brighter 36
Live Brighter™ 18
Live Brighter™ 12
|Plan||Rate Per kWh|
36 Month Home Power Plan
Live Brighter 36
Live Brighter™ 18
Live Brighter™ 12
Disclaimer: Rebates and programs change regularly and may differ from what's written in this post. Check out your utility's website or EnergizeCT.com to ensure you have all the necessary information to qualify for rebates and discounts.