Deregulation in Maryland
Maryland’s 1999 Electric Utility Industry Restructuring Act enacted legislation for deregulation of Maryland’s electric supply market. By 2007, the state was fully deregulated – meaning that most customers were no longer forced to purchase their electricity supply from their local utility. Customers in these service areas are able to shop around:
- Allegheny Power
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE)
- Delmarva Power
A variety of retail electricity provider companies entered the market in hopes of gaining new customers. Competition among providers increased as their numbers grew. In deregulated markets, it is this competition that brings lower prices and more innovative products and services to the electricity market.
Shop Around and Save
There are two main parts of an electric bill: (1) Supply, and (2) Delivery and Transmission. A customer’s local utility handles electric delivery and transmission, and this charge doesn’t change if a customer switches to a retail electricity provider. The Supply portion of the bill is what customers are able to shop around for.
To view a list of competitive rates from reliable retail electricity providers in your area, use our FREE Compare & Switch tool at the top of this page.
When deciding on a retail electricity provider, look for the following:
- Low Electricity Rates
- Find rates that are lower than what you’re currently paying, often referred to as the “Price-to-Compare”. This can be found on your most recent utility bill and is expressed in cents per kWh.
- Contract Terms that Fit Your Needs
- Choose between fixed and variable rate plans. Variable plans have rates that can change daily or monthly and fixed plans have rates that are locked in for the duration of the contract.
- Choose between 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24-month contract durations or month-to-month variable plans.
- Other Incentives to Switch
- Renewable and clean electricity source options
- Multiple bill-pay options
- Smart grid and Smart meter improvements
- And more
POWER SAVERS CORNER
Because the best way to save money on energy costs while also saving the environment is to use LESS power.